Robert and Virgie’s Place

234235237239b240242243244245246249251250252253254

I posted about Robert years ago on an old blog and I reposted it years later on another blog. Here is the post from the 2nd posting.

Last week I had to drive by Robert & Virgie’s old house 3 times. It’s out of the way for me and I don’t go that way often but last week was a little unusual. A little bit up the road before I got there I thought, as I usually do, that I should stop. I’ve always wanted to in all those years it’s been vacant. The urge was just a little stronger on that day. I pulled in the overgrown driveway, running over a few trees that have started growing in it. I snapped a photo and then I went inside. As soon as I walked in I saw the attic opening and I thought that before I left I’d take a pic of the steps leading up. It was not my intention to actually go up. I looked around a bit and took a few more pics and then headed over to the attic steps. Once I looked up I realized it really wasn’t much of a shot. So, at that point I decided to go up and maybe take a pic back down them. I got to the top and took a few pics around the two rooms. I saw the wreath made of thread spools turned upside down so I turned it over. I wanted to capture it because I knew those spools probably came from the factory. As I was about to head back downstairs I noticed a card beside the wreath. 244outlineI froze for a second thinking of the odds that this might be a card that we gave to one of them. I moved it a bit from where I originally found it and took a pic of the outside.248And then I opened it up and this is what I found:247My heart almost stopped. Robert had kept a birthday card that we all signed for him. It was such an emotional moment for me. It brought a rush of feelings of so much. All of us together, a time when we didn’t know that the factory would come to and end, Granddaddy and Grandmother still alive and sweet little old Robert stopping for a bit to chat, leaning on that broom like he did. I picked it up and brought it home and I will always hold it so dear.

Comments

Post a Comment

Your comments reflect who you are. If you see something in me that you do not like, it’s your own shadow that you refuse to see. Work on that instead of working on me. Okay. If you’re nice then thank the rainbows and puppies out of you.

Popular Posts