The Sweetest Parts

It's a simple thing really but taking our usual drive this morning was just a good reminder to me of how much I love this world. We drove along Mill Creek while we ate our usual Dairy Queen breakfast burrito and watched as birds greeted us and then seemed to cheer us along our path. It's always a great reminder. That is why we do it so much. 

We always see lots of wildlife; turkeys, deer, hawks and an occasional blue heron fishing from a rock in the creek. On occasion we will find an animal out and we will try to round it up and get it back where it belongs. Sometimes I just ask B to stop so I can talk to the critters standing by the fence. There are days the weather is so perfect we have to roll the windows down. Some days there is music playing in the background of it all and some not. We go slow and enjoy every second.

We point out the same two spots that we'd love to own. His choice, a house on top of the hill and mine a farm in the valley that is so near perfect that I cannot imagine a single thing could have ever gone wrong for the people who live there. Oh, and mine has a thousand stories. I can see it in the land. There is the two-story white house with its perfect porch. It has a smokehouse and other out buildings that make it appear that at one point it was probably near self-sustaining. There is also a graveyard in the back. Some days we see the occupants outside who are older and look as if this place is their history. It feels like they could tell you all of its secrets. 

We always look to see if the creeks are running and talk of whether we should kayak or float them on a tube. These trips are, all but a hand full, just in our heads. We talk about it way more than we do it. 

On these mornings I don't do a single thing to prepare before going out the door. I don't shower or comb my hair. I just go and it makes me feel so free.

Popular Posts